470. Juvenile, "400 Degreez"

 


My first exposure to Juvenile was back on MTV when - oh god help us, here it comes - MTV still played music videos, I know, can you imagine anything more old man to say.  Anyway, this album sold 6 million copies, holy shit.

I have to admit I have never listened to it all the way through until yesterday.  It's easy to see why a song like "Ha" became a big hit, since it has the things that big hits have, a hummable chorus and some great lines.  Also almost every line ends in "ha," making it a descendent of the ghazal form of Urdic poetry, It's hypnotic and incantatory.  

I wish I knew more about hip hop history because I'm not sure how to properly situate this album, but I could see it being hugely influential.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"