454. Can, "Ege Bamyasi"

 


I think during this project we sometimes have to agree to disagree, the albums and me, and that's where I am with this Can album.  Now, Can is highly regarded and incredibly influential - in fact, Stephen Malkmus, who led one of my all-time favorite bands, Pavement, which was obviously influenced by Can, said he used to listen to this album every night before he went to sleep (and not to introduce yet another recursive phrase here but that sounds like a recipe for psychosis to me) - but it is really, really not my thing.  I'm not super into long formless jams or weirdness qua weirdness and this album has plenty o' both.

There are two semi-normal "songs" on here, and they're the last two songs on the album.  "I'm So Green" has nice funk vibe and "Spoon" - yes, the band got their name from it - has a touch of Swinging '60s, which isn't surprising because it was the theme music for a German cop show.

You know who this really reminded me of?  Deerhoof, the post-punk (I guess?) SF band that I simultaneously love and can't listen to for more than 2 songs.  Maybe that's how I feel about this as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"