466. The Beach Boys, "The Beach Boys Today!"

 

I know the Beach Boys are like critical kryptonite and their catalog is regarded as untouchable and blah blah blah but I just found this album kind of....boring.  Like, all the songs sound kind of the same in that Beach Boys-y kind of way, there's lots of vocal reverb and "ahhhhhhhhh"ing behind every line and tambourine and 4-part harmonies and whatever but it's all just so uniform.  I know, this is where I get struck dead by Rock Critic Jesus.

And some of the lyrics are ... far out, man, as they might have said in 1965.  Check out the extremely literally-titled "Don't Hurt My Little Sister":

There she goes she ran in her room
She'll probably stay in there the rest of the day
It sounds like it must have been something you said
You know she's awful used to getting her way

Why don't you kiss her
(Why don't you kiss her)
And while you kiss her
(Tell her you miss her)
Why don't you treat her
(Why don't you treat her)
Treat her nice

Don't hurt my little sister
Don't hurt my little sister
Don't hurt my little sister

Dude, your little sister sounds like a sociopath.  And you're enabling her!  You two are going to make a great brother-sister serial murder killing team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"