468. The Rolling Stones, "Some Girls"

 


Ah, our first Rolling Stones album.  I assumed that pretty much every Rolling Stones album would be on here somewhere but the fact that this is the first one to appear at #468 gives me a ray of hope that trash like "Steel Wheels" won't make it on here.  A boy can hope.

This is an interesting Rolling Stones album.  There are songs that are clearly like the "classic" Stones sound from the late '60s like "When the Whip Comes Down" and "Lies" and there is the Sticky Fingers-sounding "Far Away Eyes," and then there are definitely hints of a new direction, like "Shattered" and "Beast of Burden" and the hey-we're-hanging-out-at-Studio-54-every-night-now-might-as-well-make-a-disco-song "Miss You."

I actually think my favorite song on this record is a total dark horse, "Before They Make Me Run," a Keith song about his heroin bust that is notable because it sounds like he's STILL ON HEROIN singing the song.  I love its lazy, swingy, druggy vibe.  

Comments

  1. Mixed Emotions, the Steel Wheels single, was a good song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back and listened to that song. It’s ok I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"