467. Maxwell, "BLACKsummers’night"

 


I really enjoyed this album! I had never heard even a single track from it, which mildly surprised me but not entirely because nowadays I get most of my new music via stuff like Spotify and I'm not sure how I was getting new music in 2009.  Blogs, I guess?  Recommended on iTunes?  I have no idea.  

Anyway, what happened here is what I was hoping with this project: discovering a really interesting, arresting, really musically well-put-together album that I otherwise would never have encountered.

Remember when we were talking about breakup songs a while back?  This is ANOTHER whole album of breakup songs.  Check this out, from "Pretty Wings":

Time will bring the real end of our trial
One day they'll be no remnants
No trace, no residual feelings within ya
One day you won't remember me

Your face will be the reason I smile
But I will not see what I cannot have forever
I'll always love ya, I hope you feel the same

I guess when you're a famous R&B (or neo-soul maybe) artist it's easy to be this gracious and be like "I know you'll forget about me but I'll always love you" but it's total BS and it's totally the other way around.  Do you really think Maxwell is gonna be pining for Cassie who brought him coffee in LA and in 10 years Cassie's gonna be like "Oh yeah I dated this one guy while he was recording at the studio where I was a gopher but I can't remember his name"? NOT LIKELY.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"