465. King Sunny Adé, "The Best of the Classic Years"

 


I hate to say it but my familiarity with King Sunny Ade was limited mostly to seeing him in show listings and having a vague awareness of him as an ambassador of African music.  This album is delightful!  Melodic, chiming guitar weaving its way around and through softly chanting vocals and over the constant backbeat of talking drums.  I read somewhere that Talking Heads were influenced by him and you can totally see that here.

I was listening to this in the kitchen when my 7-year-old daughter walked in and wordlessly began twirling in place.  She rarely dances to anything so that's a big endorsement!  KING SUNNY ADE: HE MAKES CHILDREN TWIRL IN PLACE!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"