463. Laura Nyro, "Eli & the 13th Confession"

 


I honestly don't know what to make of this album.  I've heard the name Laura Nyro before - I think from reading Rolling Stone! - but she never really crossed my radar, and I consider myself fairly well-listened.  I have never heard a Laura Nyro song to the best of my knowledge before I listened to this album yesterday.

I guess it's kind of jazzy, kind of show tune-y?  Not stuff that I would usually seek out.  Actually it sounds like you wandered into the big room at the Stardust in 1972 and there was a big show and a woman in a super fancy dress was singing and everyone in the audience was smoking and drinking martinis.  That's what it sounds like I guess.  Or if you somehow projected Tori Amos back in time.  That big piano-forward power vocals kind of thing.  Anyway, another one for the respect-but-don't-love pile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"