452. Diana Ross and the Supremes, "Anthology"

 


I have to assume that the reason this album is so low is because it's a collection/greatest hits-type album, because HOLY SHIT this is a pretty amazing set of songs you already know every whisper, beat, string arrangement, and vocal in by heart.  

Look at this list of songs:

"Where Did Our Love Go"
"Baby Love"
"Ask Any Girl"
"Come See About Me"
"Stop! In The Name Of Love"
"Back In My Arms Again"
"Nothing But Heartaches"
"I Hear A Symphony"
"My World Is Empty Without You"
"Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart"
"You Can't Hurry Love"
"You Keep Me Hangin' On"

That's just from sides 2 and 3 of a 6-side collection!  I mean come the fuck on! These are more thsan just songs, they're part of the fabric of American culture.  

I put this on when we were in the car on Christmas Eve day and I am happy to report that listening to it is just as easy and pleasurable as ever, even if you've heard these songs a million times before, as you have. I was focused pretty intently on the vocals and it still amazes how perfect the harmonies are.  Also, I'm not sure how much of this Phil Spector produced, but it sure sounds like him.  Phil Spector keeps showing up here, huh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"