457. Sinéad O’Connor, "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got"

 


Like all/most of you, all I knew from this album was "Nothing Compares 2 U," which was just omnipresent in the background in the early '90s but which I never thought about much or paid much attention to.  So I was mildly surprised to find that there are a lot of interesting and good songs on this album!  The extremely gothily named "I Am Stretched on Your Grave" has a great dirgey vocal over a club beat.  It's a really pretty, if disturbingly dark, song.  "The Emperor's New Clothes" is, I think, a self-empowerment anthem and really has that fist-in-the-air vibe.  And I think "Last Day of Our Acquaintance" is as good a divorce song as I've heard.

It's interesting that this album comes so soon in the list after Lorde's Melodama, since this was obviously a big influence on Lorde.  You can hear it all over Lorde's stuff - the sparse, chilly production, the aching vocals, the personal revealing that's almost too much.  

Incredibly, Sinead apparently got beat up by Prince.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"