407. Neil Young, "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere"

 


In 1995, Neil Young collaborated with Pearl Jam on a record called Mirror Ball.  They also played some shows together, including a June 24, 1995 show at the Polo Fields in Golden Gate Park.  I was there!  It was billed as strictly a Pearl Jam show, and Neil was supposed to be a surprise guest.  HOWEVER, after seven songs, Eddie Vedder announced that he was "sick" and left.  Neil Young came out and played with Pearl Jam for like 2 hours.  The rumor going around at the time was that Eddie was dope sick but c'mon, like you can't score heroin in San Francisco?  I can walk outside my office and score dope.  There's no way a famous touring band couldn't.  (Humorously, I just realized Neil Young was younger at that show than I am now, egads.)

Anyway, one of the songs I distinctly remember was like a 20-minute endless jam version of "Down by the River," one of the songs on this album.  Here it's in a convenient 9-minute version, which is much more digestible.  My main memory from the version at that show was that it was SOOOO BORING.  Kids are just the worst.

There is some great stuff on this album.  The title track is a straight-up country-rock stomp with a stripped-down, almost zero-effects vocal that suits the song perfectly.  "Cinnamon Girl" was, I think, my first Neil Young song, and to this day I have a soft spot for its fuzzed-out guitar and one-note solo. 

I think of this as kind of the prototypical Neil Young record.  There are so many elements that show up again and again in later records, like the obvious country influences, the vocals straining for the high notes, the experimentation with guitar sounds, and yes, the too-long jams.  Or just right, depending on your point of view.

That day in Golden Gate Park was the last time I saw Neil Young live, I think?  I should have been paying more attention. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"