389. Mariah Carey, "The Emancipation of Mimi"

 


I did not like this album at all.

111 albums into this project, I have come across a lot of stuff that is not in my wheelhouse and that I would never have listened to under normal conditions.  So far, it's been the case that I can at least find something to appreciate, even if it's not my thing.  Like I would never have listened to Britney Spears' Blackout in a million years but even though it's totally not my thing, I kind of enjoyed it!

Not with this one.  Mea culpas first: I don't really care for this style of R&B, the slickly-produced, Autotuned, drum machined, "why can't we get back together" lyriced, vocal acrobatic featuring stuff.  I guess I get it, but I really, really don't like it.  So that made this one a tough listen.  The whole album is like that.  It's bad.  There isn't really a hooky chorus or melody line that you'd catch yourself humming.  It just goes on and on with the same stuff and the stuff is not good.

Without looking it up, which number album do you think this was for Mariah?  I mean, how many albums had she put out before this one?  Can you believe this was her TENTH studio album?  I was thinking maybe it was her third or fourth.  I really did not keep track of Mariah Carey's career.  This record sold 6 million copies.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"