391. Kelis, "Kaleidoscope"

 


Kelis' debut album, one of those records that I had heretofore never heard a single track from, and another pleasant surprise!  I guess I wasn't really sure what to expect, but this is really a fascinating pastiche of R&B, hip-hop, jazz, and DJ beats.  Produced by the Neptunes - Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo - who would go on to an incredible career that's still going on, so you know it's going to sound good.

I guess the money song on this album was "Caught Out There," a breakup anthem for all time, with Kelis screaming "I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW" over a smooth beat.  It's hard to describe, but it works.  "Good Stuff" was also a big hit, and it's easy to see why; it's got a great head-nodding beat and a jazzy, easy vocal.  Guest vocal by Pusha T, good as always.  My favorite, though, is "Ghetto Children," which is, as its name implies, a call of support for kids left behind by society and an indictment of the society that left them behind.  It also happens to have a beautiful chorus melody sung perfectly by Kelis.

Hey I didn't know this but Kelis is a chef!  She went to Le Cordon Bleu and trained as a saucier.  She's been on Food Network and wrote a cookbook and the whole nine.  

(OK, I know what you're wondering, so let me add this disclaimer: no, this is not the album with "Milkshake" on it. But almost every song on this album is better than that song.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"