402. Fela Kuti and Africa 70, "Expensive Shit"

 


I feel really awful about this but I didn't like it!  Let's unpack for a second.  First, not liking something is fine, right?  Maybe I'm just not that musically sophisticated to appreciate whatever genre this is, and it is worlds apart from what I usually listen to, for sure.  There are only two songs for a total of 24 minutes and they're more like jazz than actual "songs" and I don't know, it's just not my thing!

The second thing to unpack is why do I feel awful about it?  Why would I feel bad about not liking something?  Okay, hand to God, I don't feel that awful, but I do feel sort of provincial and small-minded in not being able to get out of my comfort zone and really make an effort with what just might be the 402nd best album ever made.  

I think there are two things going on.  First, this album is obviously beloved to a lot of people who know a lot about music so I don't want to appear dumb by saying DURRRRRRR I NO LIKE because it's not power pop or whatever.  It's a classic thing where sometimes critics all fall in line behind something just because no one wants to be the one person saying "this blows" and then everyone else sneering "this dumbass doesn't know anything about art."  Second, the new Rolling Stone list is obviously an effort to include more marginalized voices and not just be White Guys who are Friends with Jann Wenner like past years lists tended to be, and I don't want to bring that worthy pursuit down.  Not like anyone is listening to me, but still.

So, with conflicted feelings, I must say I did not like this.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"