403. Ghostface Killah, "Supreme Clientele"

 


Just for sheer dizzying wordplay, it's hard to beat this album, one of the few Pitchfork 10's (along with Kid A, Illmatic, Live Through This, The Stone Roses s/t, and other classics), and absolutely deserving.  It's actually a holy shit moment if you haven't heard it through before.  I mean, just listen to this:


Scientific, my hand kissed it
Robotic, let's think optimistic
You probably missed it, watch me Dolly Dick it
Scotty Wotty copped it to me, big microphone hippie
Hit Poughkeepsie, crispy chicken, verbs, throw up a stone, Richie
Chop the O, sprinkle a little snow inside a Optimo
Swing the John McEnroe, rap rock'n'roll
Ty-D-Bol, gung-ho pro, Starsky with the gumsole
Hit the rum slow, parole kids, live Rapunzel
But Ton' Stizzy really high, the vivid laser eye guy
Jump in the Harley ride, Clarks, I freak a lemon pie
I'm bout it, bout it, Lord forgive me, Ms. Sally shouted
Tracey got shot in the face, my house was overcrowded
You fake cats done heard it first

That is some fucking wordplay.  Even if you don't get all the references (and you can spend some time on Genius like I did if that helps), you can appreciate the ability of the man to pack the syllables in at speed and with a dizzying rhyme scheme that includes in-line rhymes and between-line rhymes as well.  

Not to take away from the music; largely produced by RZA, it's a dense, layered sound, full of bravado and menace.  I think my favorite song on here, music-wise, is probably "One," which lifted the title word from the Sweet Inspirations' "You Roam When You Don't Get It at Home" and used it like a metronome, a regular refrain.  It adds up to a whole that's way beyond the sum of its parts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"