483. Muddy Waters, "The Anthology"

 


This is the real shit.  Remember when we talked about John Mayer's fake blues a few days ago?  This is the real thing.  John Mayer's all like 

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way it should
But I know the heart of life is good

But Muddy says

Well, now it getting late on into the evening
And I feel like, like blowing my home
When I woke up this morning all I had, I had was gone
Now it getting, late on into the evening, man now
I feel like, like blowing my home
Well now, woke up this morning, all I had was gone
Well, brooks run into the ocean, the ocean run in, into the sea
But don't find my baby, somebody going to sure bury me

Which one sounds more like the blues?  "Hey, it's all gonna be okay, hang in there slugger," or "EVERYTHING I HAVE IS GONE AND I AM GOING TO BE BURIED"?

A lot of the songs are just Muddy Waters and his guitar but you don't even really notice.  There is so much pain and feeling flowing out of that simple setup that it's almost chilling.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"