472. SZA, "Ctrl"

 


This is somebody's - probably a lot of somebodys - sex album, I guarantee it.  Aside from the openly sexual songs ("Doves in the Wind," which I had to dive for the skip button when I had this on while I was making my kid lunch, oh my god), the whole album just feels sexual in some way.  

(When I was much much much much younger my sex album was "Avalon" by Roxy Music, which might still work, I don't know.  I guess I fancied myself a debonair, smoking jacket-type guy, when in fact I was just your regular highly insecure teen trying to act like a Smoking Jacket Guy.)

This is "alt-R&B" I guess?  There's a song called "Drew Barrymore" that doesn't directly reference Drew Barrymore in any way but I think my favorite is probably "Prom," with a great beat and a couple of fascinating melodic turns.  Great chorus that really opens up the song, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"