482. The Pharcyde, "Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde"

 


"If you want to get a white girl in bed, play some 90's hip hop."  I was recently discussing this album with a woman and that's what she told me.  OK, the woman was my sister.  Needless to say, I did not inquire further.  If you want to get a white guy - or, indeed, any guy - in bed, play whatever the fuck you want.  German industrial, avant garde classical, Tibetan throat singers, the soundtrack to "My Fair Lady," a Larry the Cable Guy album, all of it will be 100% successful, I guarantee you.

So.... once again, here we have not something I listened to much.  Of course, I knew "Officer," just from its ubiquity, but for some reason I had Pharcyde compartmentalized in my head as some kind of joke-rap weed band and that's not them at all!  I mean, they definitely have a sense of humor and seem to be familiar with and fond of marijuana, but this album is really good!  I was immediately reminded of De La Soul, or maybe even Tribe Called Quest, with a lot of jazzy samples and complex, weaving rhymes.  Way more interesting than I was expecting.  

And white girls out there, we are onto you now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"