478. The Kinks, "Something Else by the Kinks"

 


Number 478 and we're finally at some recognizable Classic Rock.  What is "Classic Rock"?  I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  When I was in high school, Led Zeppelin and the Kinks and the Beatles were all Classic Rock, even though all of those groups had released albums within the preceding 15 years.  Led Zeppelin's last album came out in 1979, just a few years before I started high school!  The Kinks put out an album in 1983!  I remember seeing the video for "Come Dancing" on MTV.  And they seemed ancient.  If we kept the same definition of Classic Rock based on how long ago the last album came out, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" would be Classic Rock.  So would Vampire Weekend!  Those do not seem like Classic Rock.

My theory is that Classic Rock is essentially guitar-based rock released from the 1950's to about 1979.  Then Classic Rock abruptly ends and so even something that SOUNDS like Classic Rock, like "Permission to Land" by the Darkness, cannot be Classic Rock.

Anyway, this album is DEFINITELY Classic Rock, even though it's really the Kinks' sui generis plinky baroque chamber-pop.  Everybody knows "David Watts" and maybe some people know "Death of a Clown" but of course the real star of this album is "Waterloo Sunset," which has been called by people who know a lot more about music than me "the most beautiful song in the English language."  I mean, it's a good song but FUCK.

It's definitely a very nice song! I don't know about most beautiful song in the English language.  There are a lot of songs in the English language and I'd have to think about it a while, though.

I'm anticipating there will be several more Kinks albums coming up in my future, which is fine.  I've always had a soft spot for the Kinks, even if I didn't particularly love them.  This is a nice album and it deserves to be played every once in a while, even if it's maybe a little too precious overall to really rock out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"