317. Billie Holiday, "Lady in Satin"

 

There are going to be albums on this list - already have been albums on this list - that I am going to listen to and appreciate and respect the importance of but just not like.  This is one of those albums.  I certainly respect Billie Holiday and the influence she had on everyone from Frank Sinatra to Amy Winehouse (Frank: "It is Billie Holiday, whom I first heard in 52nd Street clubs in the 1930s, who was, and still remains, the greatest single musical influence.") but this album just didn't do a thing for me.  Yes, I am a cretin, a lowlife who knows nothing of the finer things, this is true.

I'm kidding (about the lowlife part, not the not liking this album part), of course, but it does make me feel some kind of way when an album this revered by a great many people just leaves me absolutely blank.  Speaking of which, I went back and checked the methodology used to create The List and was reminded that Rolling Stone asked "more than 300 artists, journalists, and industry figures" to list their Top 50 albums then compiled those into The List.  You can see the voters here, which is fine, but c'mon, Rolling Stone, publish everyone's list!  I want to see what albums John Wurster and Roger McGuinn and Katie Crutchfield listed!  I even want to see Gene Simmons' list, even though I suspect it's all Kiss albums, just listed over and over and over.

So a bunch of people must have put this album down and that means it's Important and so I feel kind of bad or something that it wasn't for me.  Oh well.  Sorry, Billie Holiday.  First heroin addiction and now this!

(One wild note: Billie Holiday was local SF politician/former supervisor Bevan Dufty's godmother!)

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? If Carly Rae Jepsen thinks so, that's good enough for me.

Comments

  1. My puzzlement is "what is this list supposed to cover?" Regardless of quality, aren't there *some* genre limitations? Is Cecil Taylor next? Tom Lehrer? Some Deutsche Grammaphone recording of Debussy? Why are Billie Holiday and DJ Shadow on the same list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great question and it's obviously heavily influenced by who they chose to submit lists. As you may have noticed, there has been almost zero country albums, which has been my biggest surprise. But it's not a surprise when you look at the list of contributors - almost no country artists or critics or industry folks. I didn't expect classical, just because I doubt they asked for the lists of any classical performers or critics. But stuff like this I can see - Holiday was obviously hugely influential on jazz singing (and other genres too) and I could see, say, Beyonce and Christgau both putting this album on their lists.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"