315. Rosalía, "El Mal Querer"

 


Here again we have something so wildly outside my area of knowledge that at first I was like "how can I even write anything about this?" but then I just kept listening any you know what, this is wildly outside my area of knowledge but I still kinda liked it.  The title apparently means "The Bad Loving" and was Rosalia's thesis at the Catalonia College of Music.  She passed, btw.  The album is based on a 13th century novel called "Flamenca" and so all the songs are chapter titles.  

I speak/understand almost zero Spanish beyond carne asada so the themes and stories behind the songs are a complete mystery to me.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed the production of this album quite a bit, and the way it marries traditional flamenco styles with Latin R&B and reggaeton.  Here, check out the video for "Pienso en Tu Mirá" to see what I'm talking about:


Pretty cool, even if it's not my thing.  Anyway, I'm sure this album is good and groundbreaking withn its world but it came out in 2018 and it's the 315th best album ever made?  Seems hard to believe.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? I doubt it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"