314. Aaliyah, "One in a Million"

 


Poor Aaliyah.  Signed to a record deal at 12 years old and introduced to R. Kelly, who is pretty much the last person on Earth you want to introduce a 12-year-old to.  Sure enough, he married her at 15 (maybe - accounts vary on this, but there certainly was something going on) and produced her first album, the extremely creepily titled Age Ain't Nothing but a Number.  For this album, however, she worked with Missy Elliott, who is probably underrated as a songwriter, and Timbaland.  Then she made a couple more albums, was in some movies, then got in a plane crash and died.  

Today Aaliyah is regarded as a groundbreaking R&B artist.  I always wonder the extent to which dying helps out your artistic cred; would she still be regarded as a hugely important R&B figure if she hadn't died?  Would the Doors have been so highly regarded if Jim Morrison had lived?  No to the second one, but there's no way to run an A/B test.

Anyway, this album was of course a huge smash success and sold 8 million copies.  Me being me, this was the first time I heard it.  I didn't love it.  Once again, I am in the position of having to comment on something way outside my wheelhouse.  Sometimes that's good!  You're coming to something totally new, that you haven't already got a solidified opinion about.  The bad part is that I read that this is a majestic, important R&B album and I just have no way to evaluate that.  So, for me personally, it just didn't do anything for me.  I didn't really like any of the songs especially, except maybe "Got to Give It Up," which is basically a reworking of the Marvin Gaye classic with some remixing and new vocals.  Aaliyah has a beautiful voice, I can appreciate that, but this is just not my jam.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? If you say so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"