386. J Dilla, "Donuts"

 


I had a bit of a journey with this album because (1) I had never heard it before, and (2) at first, I didn't really understand what it was.  Like, it's not something I would normally listen to so I started out a bit crazy, like "What box do I put this into?" and "This sounds like something played in the background at a Valencia Street restaurant in 2008."  But then I tried to put aside my preconceptions and listen to it on its own terms and it's enjoyable for a while, even if it's not something I'd normally listen to.

Here's the story: J Dilla put this together this instrumental hip hop album while hospitalized for a rare blood disorder and died three days after it came out.  It's a melange of all kinds of stuff, with samples from soul classics and 60's rock and clips from movies and fuck, I don't even know.  For me, there were some truly interesting moments, and some songs that I liked, but on the whole, I'm not gonna be listening to it a lot, I don't think.

It's not J Dilla's fault!  I really just don't like instrumental music that much.  People just love Explosions in the Sky and Mogwai and that stuff but it just doesn't do much for me.  So, sorry, J Dilla, I'm sure this stuff is great, it's just not my thing.

PROGRAMMING NOTE: I will be off tomorrow, so entries will resume on Monday.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"