382. Tame Impala, "Currents"

 


If Tame Impala didn't exist, major music festivals would have to invent them.  They're the perfect late-day act or headliner - just edgy enough for the music snobs and kids, but also easy and unthreatening enough for the dads.  I've seen Tame Impala multiple times at festivals, and they're (or really, "he's," it's just Kevin Parker and a bunch of hired help) always FINE.  I remember seeing them at FYF in Los Angeles, before that festival crashed and burned amid a slew of horrifying sexual harrassment allegations against the founder, and poor Tame Impala had the misfortune of following Vince Staples on the same stage.  After Staples' incendiary, electric set, Tame Impala seemed positively neutered.  They were playing and it was FINE and every bro who had been throughout the festival was drawn to the sound like moths to MOR but I was mostly just meh.  I had reached the ultimate state of meh-ness.

[Looking back at the 2016 FYF schedule, it looks like Grimes was between Vince and Tame Impala, an event I have no memory of.]

So this album represented a marked departure in Tame Impala's sound, from a fuzzy-guitared neo-psych rave-up to a more bass-driven, obviously Bee Gees-influenced, electronica neo-disco.  That falsetto on almost every song starts out pretty and interesting and then starts to grate, tbqh.  I guess this album is "good," and it definitely has a sound, but to me, the songs all blur together and sound roughly the same.  I listened to it twice all the way through and I'm still not sure I could come up with a melody on my own, if pressed.  I guess "The Less I Know the Better" was the one real standout for me, and maybe it's no coincidence that it's the most guitar-forward song on the whole album.  But I kept thinking "there are maybe some good songs on here, why do they all have to sound exactly the same?"  Sounds to me like a problem with the producer.  Whoops, he's the producer too.  I'll be the one not watching them at Outside Lands, I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"