367. Drake, "If You're Reading This It's Too Late"

 


Drake is one of the biggest artists of the 2010s (and will be for the 2020s, if he so wishes, I'm sure).  And yet - personal confession time here - I could not name a single Drake song.  He has just never been on my radar.  I mean, I know what he looks like, and we all know the meme, but I could not name a song.  Even after listening to this whole album, I still couldn't.

[LENGTHY PARENTHETICAL: I don't know any songs because, of course, I was listening to it on my device while walking around or whatever, the same way I, and probably most everybody, consumes music these days.  As a Gen Xer, I used to listen to music as a youth by putting on albums and then carefully studying the sleeve and liner notes as it played.  This way, I grew to know what each song was named.  Now, I barely look at my phone while music is playing so I almost never associate songs with names.  I barely know the names of any songs any more.]

So.  This album.  Now, although I had very little prior knowledge of Drake, I had a vague mental impression that he was a crooner type, like a sexxxy R&B kind of singer guy?  But this is straight-up rap, with very little instrumentation.  Drake is clearly trying to sound hard - there's lots of motherfuckas and stuff about getting fucked up and getting laid, but I actually LOL'd when I got to the line "I got two mortgages, thirty million in total," like oh man, your life must be rough, Drake.  This album has that thing a lot of artists have when they get big - they start singing and/or rapping about how much shit they have and how hard it is to be rich & famous.  This effect is so well known Joe Walsh parodied it in 1978, in "Life's Been Good" ("My Maserati does one-eighty-five/I lost my license, now I don't drive").

In the end, all the songs on this album sound about the same.  I would have  a tough time differentiating one from another unless I listened to this album a lot, which I will not do.  It's just cold.  The sound itself is sparse and cold, and it left me feeling cold, like Drake was playing a role he's not particularly suited for, or just complaining about a life most people will never glimpse.  I'm gonna pass on this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"