230. Rihanna, "Anti"

 


Robyn Rihanna Fenty is, of course, a global phenomenon, a megastar, a probable billioniare (due in part to her fashion, fragrance, and other skincare ventures), and one of the best-selling music artists of all time.  She has sold oer 250 million records, putting her in a league with Elvis, the Beatles, Madonna, Pink Floyd, and Michael Jackson.  This album sold only 3 million copies.  A crushing disappointment.

I was not prepared to like this album.  Despite her rarified status, I know almost no Rihanna music at all; in fact, she is the only artist with sales of 250 million or more that I could only name a couple of songs by ("Umbrella" and "Work," the latter of which was on this album.)  I gathered that she worked mainly in the  pop/dance/R&B arena, so I was surprised to hear this album which is just all over the place, and I mean that in the best possible way.

The record opens with "Consideration," a clearly dub-influenced lazy, langorous track (with guest SZA, whom we have previously seen) with a beautiful melody that dances up and down over the distorted drum tracks.  I knid of love it.  "Kiss It Better" is an 80's-style slow jam, followed by "Work," one of the singles and only song I recognized and found completely underwhelming compared to the rest.

I was really taken with three songs in the second half of the album.  I was listening to "Same Ol' Mistakes" and I was like "this sounds like Tame Impala" and then I found out guess what, it's a somewhat reworked cover of Tame Impala's "New Person, Same Old Mistakes."  A Tame Impala cover!  That's pretty dope.  The next song, "Never Ending," is almost folky and has a melody that I just knew I had heard somewhere before and that's because big chunks of it are lifted from Dido's "Thank You" (enough that Dido gets a cowriting credit) but the song is uniquely Rihanna's.  I really like this song.  After that is "Love on the Brain," an obvious nod to 60's girl groups that at first seems like a shimmery doo-wop nod until you listen to the lyrics:

Must be love on the brain
That's got me feeling this way (feeling this way)
It beats me black and blue but it fucks me so good
And I can't get enough

Even I recognize that this is an obvious reference to Rihanna's stormy, violent relationship with woman-beating piece of shit Chris Brown.  Yikes.

I don't usually talk about album art (and I probably should), but the cover art for this is also absolutely arresting.  It's a picture of Rihanna as a child, manipulated by Israeli artist Roy Nachum, splashed with red paint.  A really fascinating image.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? Obviosuly there are going to be one or more Rihanna albums in the Top 500.  I don't know enough about her career to know which ones are the most important or "best," but I liked this album quite a bit so I'm going to say yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"