227. Little Richard, "Here’s Little Richard"

 


You can actually hear rock 'n roll being formed on this album.  Like, here's Little Richard taking blues and R&B and gospel and smashing it all together into what we would eventually recognize as rock.  If this list were Most Formative Albums, this album would be in the Top 10.  And just because I love these historical comparisons: this album came out in 1957, meaning that it is as old now as Brahms' Opus 117 was when this album was released.

Little Richard only died a few years ago, in 2020, but man, what a life.  His first hit, and the first song on this album, "Tutti Frutti," came out in 1955, when he was 23 years old.  That song, which of course you know, if not the original then maybe the Elvis version, has quite a backstory.  It's been common lore for years that the original lyrics were quite a bit more, um, risque than the final version.  According to Little Richard's drummer, they were something like: "Tutti Frutti, good booty/If it's tight, it's all right/And if it's greasy, it makes it easy."  But legendary producer/bandleader "Bumps" Blackwell knew that wasn't gonna get played on the radio, so he called in lyricist Dorothy LaBostrie to write the lyrics we all know "Tutti Frutti, aw rooty," repeat 3x.  BUT LaBostrie later claimed she wrote the lyrics - I mean, "lyrics," such as they are - from scratch and there was never a dirty version.  I guess we'll never know, but the dirty version story is much better.

The rest of the album is sonically similar, with some variations here and there.  A lot of it is definitely just sped-up blues; I guess I shouldn't say "just," because somebody had to speed up blues and invent rock and roll and it was Little Richard that did it.  I quite like "Rip It Up," maybe the first "I just got paid and now I'm gonna party" songs, a theme that would recur in rock for the next 60 years:

Well, it's Saturday night, and I just got paid
Fool about my money, don't try to save
My heart says go, go, have a time
'Cause it's Saturday night, and I'm feelin' fine
I'm gonna rock it up, I'm gonna rip it up
I'm gonna shake it up, gonna ball it up
I'm gonna rock it up, and ball tonight

"Ball" didn't have the overtly sexual connotation it would get in the 60's; here it just means "party."  But I imagine LR was anticipating the later meaning.  

The other big hit on this record was "Long Tall Sally," a more or less prototypical rock song that, even if you've never heard it (which, frankly, would be hard to imagine at this point) you would nevertheless recognize and know immediately where it was going next.  It was covered by the Kinks and Beatles and Elvis and every other garage band for decades.  And in fact, it was the last song the Beatles ever played at their last show at Candlestick Park.  

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? Of course.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"