426. Lucinda Williams, "Lucinda Williams"

 


Back in 1988, there was no "alt-country" yet.  I mean, there had been acts that fused country and rock (I'm thinking of Jason and the Scorchers but there were plenty of others), but there was no label like "alt-country" (or, as some parts of it are now known, "Americana").  You can tell this was an early alt-country album because  "The L.A. people said, 'It's too country for rock.' The Nashville people said, 'It's too rock for country.'"  

It's a lovely album, really, quiet and understated in some parts, but then big and jangly in others.  There are the little slices of life like "The Night's Too Long" (later a hit for Patty Loveless) and questions about the nature of life and love ("Passionate Kisses," later a hit for Mary Chapin Carpenter; "Price to Pay," as far as I know never a hit for anyone else).  I will say that I love the verse in "Passionate Kisses" but I don't really like the chorus.  Not that that means anything, just my hot take for today.

Looking back on this record now, it's fine, but we in the audience know it's really just a warm up for the big home run, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, which will be coming in 1998 and almost definitely will be on this list.  I will be shocked if it's not on this list, actually.

Comments

  1. My hot take - this record is head and shoulders about Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. Every song is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a hot take! I like it, don't get me wrong, but I think CWOAGR is more...interesting or something? IDK, we'll talk when we get there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"