424. Beck, "Odelay"

 


Can you separate the artist from the art?  I know I don't really listen to Ryan Adams any more since it came out that he's a sex pest who continually preyed on  younger women.  I mean, I didn't have any CDs to throw away but I unstarred all his albums on Spotify, SO THERE.  I just can't listen to it knowing what I know now.  

Beck is apparently a Scientologist and I'd be lying if I didn't say that this fact colored my appreciation of his work once I found it out.  I mean, I'm generally distrustful of all organized religion, but Scientology is especially nutty and predatory to boot.  

But I put all that aside and tried to listen to this album fresh and guess what?  It's great.  It's a great album.  Let's set aside the 3 songs you probably already know ("Devil's Haircut," "The New Pollution," and "Where It's At"), and focus on some of the other tracks first.  "Jack-Ass," based around a sample from Them's cover of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue," is a lovely meditation on not letting things go.  "Lord Only Knows" has kind of a chopped and screwed "Sweet Virginia" vibe.  There was obviously a lot of in-studio experimentation, which is kind of what you'd expect when the Dust Brothers are producing.  You can really hear it on "High 5 (Rock the Catskills)," an aggressively slammed-together song built from the ground up on samples and drum machines.

The whole feel of the album is kind of moody and atmospheric.  Like a lot of Beck's stuff, it seems purposefully inscrutable.  It's not as obvious a breakup record as "Sea Change," but it seems like a breakup record.  Not just breaking up with a person; breaking up with life.  "Ramshackle," for example, is a broody, sad tale of "flypaper towns/stuck together, one and all."  Is it about stasis or restlessness?  Impossible to tell.  Let's just stay a while and try to figure it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"