415. The Meters, "Looka Py Py"

 


This is the kind of thing that would be playing during brunch at All You Knead restaurant on Haight Street in the early 90's.  I know because I used to go to brunch at All You Knead restaurant on Haight Street in the early 90's and I'm positive I heard this playing.  All You Knead had a really good brunch, and I specifically remember it was the first place I ever had a beer with brunch, mostly because back then I couldn't drink champagne so, you know, no mimosas.  Funny story: I didn't drink any wine or champagne AT ALL, not one sip, between the time I was about 15 and maybe 30 becaue when I was about 15 I drank way too much champagne at a restaurant opening afterparty and got violently ill and couldn't stand the smell of it for at least 10 years.

Back to this record.  Of course, it has an absolutely locked-in funk groove, and one memorable song at least (the title track), but let me be straight with you, I am really not crazy about instrumental funk albums, or really instrumental albums of any kind.  I appreciate this album and I know it's a classic but it's just not my thing, and that's gonna have to be ok.  It would be good playing in the background at brunch anywhere, though, if we ever get to have brunch again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"