499. Rufus & Chaka Khan, “Ask Rufus”

 


Never heard this album before in my life!  I will happily admit I’ve got all kinds of musical blind spots, and mid-70’s funk is definitely one of them.  Anyway, this album slaps.  Chaka Khan, what a voice, man.  There’s only one real dance track on here – the first song, “At Midnight (My Love Will Lift You Up)” but the whole album is so smooth and rich.

I think everybody has certain musical blind spots, some more than others, of course.  I rather embarrassingly have to admit that (as will be seen) I am missing big chunks of music that was EXTREMELY POPULAR, like a lot of R&B, soul, jazz, and so on.  I never listened to the radio a lot once I got to college so I wasn't exposed to things that are blindingly obvious to some people (as we will see in just a few posts).  Part of what I'm looking forward to in this project is plugging some of the gaps in my music knowledge base.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"