494. The Ronettes, "Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes"

 


One of those albums you’ve (or I guess I should say I’ve) never sat down and listened to all the way through but know every song, or at least the idea of every song.  Produced by Phil Spector, who would go on to become a legend and then go to prison for shooting an actress in his house in 2003.  It’s very Wall of Soundy!  (As far as I can tell, that means “lots and lots of reverb and strings in the background," but I’m sure there’s more to it than that.)  

Everybody knows "Be My Baby," of course.  Do you know "(The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up"?  


What do you think it is?  "Finally being free of that manipulative asshole"?  "Getting to go out with my friends again without having to explain where I am"?  "Feeling an enormous weight lifted and being able to breathe again"?  No, it's none of those!

That the best part of breakin' up is when you're making up

Best part of breakin' up is when you're making up

But, after breakin' up

Be sure you're making up with me

The best part of breaking up is apparently ... getting back together!  Like many, many Phil Spector songs - and I guess songs from the 60's in general - the lyrics are a painful throwback to a much, much worse time.  (We'll be talking soon about a much darker version of this idea.)  Can't even break up!

(One other thing - the "Tell me why" in the prechorus of this song is almost sung the exact same way as the "Tell me why" in "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" by Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, from 8 years earlier, in 1956.  What's up with that?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"