177. Rod Stewart, "Every Picture Tells a Story"

 


I've never known quite what to make of Rod Stewart.  When I was growing up, I knew him as a slightly embarrassing disco dude ("Do Ya Think I'm Sexy") that my friends' moms liked.  Then he easily transitioned into a crooner/balladeer and then slid effortlessly into his final form on the senior circuit doing Brill Building classics and the like (It Had to Be You: The Great American Songbook and its sequels).  Now he's a Sir and has tons of kids and does things like punching bouncers when he can't get his grandkids into a party.  An elder lager lout, perhaps.

But Rod started out as a rocker with the Jeff Beck Group and the Faces and put this out, his first solo album, when he was just 25 years old.  It's basically another Faces album, since they all appear on it, most prominently Ronnie Wood, who plays most of the guitars.  The big song was, of course, "Maggie May," the cougar paean with one of the clangiest unintentionally funny rhymes in rock ("I laughed at all of your jokes/ My love, you didn't need to coax") that was Rod's first #1 in the US and UK.  You can see why; it's an instantly catchy, hummable song, with a sweet mandolin part that lends it a certain kind of rustic charm.  "Mandolin Wind," also penned by Stewart, features a lot of the eponymous instrument, and is a pretty good song, about a farming couple nearly freezing to death.  Faux pastoralism did not originate with alt-country I guess.

There are some covers, too, as is typical for an album of the era; a competent reading of Dylan's "Tomorrow Is a Long Time," really showing off the country/folk influence, with pedal steel and fiddle on the arrangement.  "That's All Right," the Elvis song, segues into "Amazing Grace," neither of which are worth spending much time with.  His cover of the Temptations' "(I Know) I'm Losing You" charted as well.

Stewart's a naturally gifted singer, with his famously smoky voice, but you feel like he could do so much more with it.  Maybe he suffers by contrast to Otis Redding from yesterday - it's not fair really to compare anyone to Otis Redding - but I feel like he could just do so much more than he does.

I really wanted to save the title track for last because it's such a weird song.  It feels like a jam session that never coalesced into a real song.  It doesn't really have a chorus, and the lines don't really rhyme.  It's kind of a travelogue, a more-or-less historically accurate rendition of Stewart's experience busking around in the 60's with some lyrics that are incredibly cringey today:

I moved right out east, yeah, listen
On the Peking ferry I was feeling merry
Sailing on my way back here
I fell in love with a slit-eyed lady
By the light of an eastern moon
Shangai Lil never used the pill
She claimed that it just ain't natural

Was this even ok in 1971?  I don't know, but fucking yikes.  Then it kinda meanders on and on and ends in kind of a breakdown with the title lyrics.  Strange song.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? I guess?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"