239. Boogie Down Productions, "Criminal Minded"

 


One of the downsides of never getting much into hip-hop in the 80's was that I totally missed some records that are now widely regarded as classics, like this one.  In fact, before yesterday, not only had I never heard this album, which is not entirely uncommon in doing this project, but I'm not sure I'd ever heard even a single song from it, which is.

It is very 80's sounding hip-hop, all sparse production and James Brown samples and horn blasts and that shouty kind of rapping.  I liked "South Bronx," which had to have been, and probably still is, a neighborhood anthem.  "9mm Goes Bang" has singsongy "La la la la" backing vocals, incongruously set against a tale of urban violence.  It seems especially poignant knowing that group member DJ Scott La Rock would be killed in a shooting months after the release of this album.  "Remix for P Is Free" really shows off the dancehall influence that BDP was known for.

So I can appreciate this album on its merits (and while I did appreciate it, it's not especially My Thing) but I guess I have a hard time evaluating it in context, since my knowledge about this era of hip-hop, as I said, is not great.  I'm told this was an album formative in the gangsta rap genre and that seems right.  I know that after La Rock's death, founding member KRS-One made a conscious decision to stop glorifying violence and to instead urge its end.  This project met with mixed results.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? I guess so, but again, I'm the wrong person to ask this time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"