273. Gang of Four, "Entertainment!"

 


Oh no, it's one of my Lobster Albums.  You know how everyone loves lobster, the go-to decadence food?  Say "fried rice" and people shrug, but say "lobster fried rice" and everyone goes "ohhhhhh that sounds amaaaaaazing, must have."  Lobster is just shorthand for rich, indulgent eating.  Except I don't really care about lobster.  It's not the apex of fine dining to me.  It's a midgrade crustacean, not really that much better than shrimp and probably not as good as crab.  It's just lobster.

Which is to say, everyone loves this album but it really doesn't do much for me.  I know, I know, it's incredibly influential and a Super Important post-punk album and maybe the biggest example of "angular," a rock critic word I saved especially for this album, but I don't really like any of the songs.  (This is probably also a Third Rail album so I'm doubly fucked for not liking it.)

So let's take a representative song.  Actually, they're all representative since they all sound about the same - HOO BOY!! - but let's take, oh, say "Contact."  It starts with Hugo Burnham's fast drums and Andy Gill's skittering, chattering guitar, joined in short order by Dave Allen's bass and Jon King's virtually spoken-word vocals.  This is pretty much the template for all the songs.  Now, I understand what's going on here, and why it's important, but it's not something I ever really want to willfully listen to.  

But the influence!  The list of bands influenced by Gang of Four goes on and on, from the good (R.E.M.) to the not as great (Red Hot Chili Peppers, who originally got Andy Gill to produce their debut album but parted ways after he couldn't stand them), to the more recent (Bloc Party).  In fact, Bloc Party obviously owes a huge debt to Go4, and I really love Bloc Party's 2005 album Silent Alarm, so I guess it's safe to say I like derivative Go4 more than actual Go4.  I want the lobster flavored chips, not the whole beast, I guess.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? Yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"