270. Kacey Musgraves, "Golden Hour"

 


Look, I like Kacey Musgraves.  I first got into her stuff after the release of her first major label album, Same Trailer Different Park, in 2013.  Saw her at the Fillmore on that tour; thought she was great.  I continue to enjoy her music.  I think she's got a great voice and a wry sensibility.

That being said, this album does not belong on this list and I'm not sure how it ended up here.  Don't get me wrong; it's a nice album.  There are some good songs (and some duds).  But it's not even the best Kacey Musgraves album, let alone better than Houses of the Holy or, for Chrissakes, Coal Miner's Daughter.  I don't even think Kacey Musgraves thinks that.

(I continue to be perplexed at how Coal Miner's Daughter ended up at 440 when it is so far clearly superior to a lot of other albums between here and there, but water under the bridge I guess.)

Back in the day when Jann Wenner still had day-to-day control of Rolling Stone, it was pretty much an open secret that he would manipulate the magazine's Best Of lists and reviews to help his rich and famous musician friends out, like Peter Wolf and Mick Jagger and their extremely mediocre solo albums.  I'm not saying that's what happened here, but I find it hard to believe that enough music industry voters thought "Hmmm, Golden Hour, that's definitely one of my top 50 albums" and put it down to land this record at number 270.

But let's leave all that and talk about this album on its own merits.  It's definitely a change for Musgraves, leaving behind the more-or-less straight country of Trailer and moving into a richer, more lushly produced and more experimental sound.  "Slow Burn," the opener, is lovely, a slow, pop-adjacent meditation on accepting the world as it comes.  "Butterflies" is closer to country, but richly instrumented, with a pretty, lilting chorus that really shows off Musgraves' voice.  "High Horse" is fascinating, a country/EDM/pop mashup.  You could mistake it for Carly Rae Jepsen, Musgraves' pop doppleganger.

I'm not gonna lie, though, some of the lyrics are.... not great.  "Velvet Elvis" compares, yes, a velvet Elvis painting to a new love:

You're my velvet Elvis
I ain't never gonna take you down
Making everybody jealous
When they step into my house
Soft to the touch, feels like love
Knew it as soon as I felt it
You're my velvet Elvis, baby

Not great.  "Space Cowboy" is kind of a classic country music play on words ("You can have your space/Cowboy/I ain't gonna fence you in") that either makes you smile or groan, depending on your sensibilities.  But these are not dealbreakers.  Like I said, it's a good album!  It's not 270 good, but it's good.

[LATE ADDENDUM: I just realized that this is the one-year anniversary of F2F!  That's right, the first entry, covering the eponymous Funeral, was on October 24, 2020.  We're at 270 now, which means that my original thinking that it would take a little over 2 years to do the whole list, is probably accurate unless I start doing speed or break my arm or die.  Can't wait til we get to Pet Sounds and say it shouldn't be on the list at all and make everyone SO MAD.]

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? I love you, Kacey, but no.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"