329. DJ Shadow, "Endtroducing....."

 


Let's say that I was deeply steeped in 90's hip hop and the DJ culture of the time.  Let's say that I'm Chris Dahlen, who gave the reissue of this album a perfect Pitchfork 10 in 2005.  Let's say that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to instrumental hip hop at all.  We would have to say any of these things for me to truly GET this album.

I have read a not inconsiderable amount about this album, so let me convey what I've learned: "It changed the musical landscape in so many ways. There would be no distinct sound to Radiohead's OK Computer without it, and it ushered a gigantic leap forward in the way sampled production could sound." "Stitched together with samples from every conceivable nook and cranny of musical endeavor, Shadow’s debut invented, established and legitimized instrumental hip-hop music in one fell swoop." "Some under a minute, some over nine, the 13 tracks are designed for headphones--Apollonian even if beat-driven, their only vocals spoken-word and comedy samples that accrue a mysterious fascination without ever revealing their relevance to each other or anything else."

So clearly this is an important record, but here am I foundering on the shoals of not knowing enough to appreciate it in context.  Here's what I will say: I enjoyed listening to it.  It's pleasant to have on and sounds good.  I could see having it on with a group of friends over, drink in hand, maybe preparing dinner.  I cannot see myself putting on headphones and sitting down and listening to it in one go.  It is as described - stitched-together samples, beats, and scraps of dialogue from what sounds like old movies and other sources.  It sounds like a lot like what I remember the background sounding like in San Francisco in the 90's.

So, Endtroducing....., I like you but I don't think I know enough to really get you.  We'll have to part on that melancholy note.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? I mean, I assume so?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"