327. The Who, "Live at Leeds"

 


Just wow.  I haven't heard this album in what seems like forever and I had forgotten about its raw power, the sheer force of a band playing at their peak.  Widely regarded as the best live album of all time, it literally crackles with electricity.  Upon my (much overdue) relisten, and as an older and wiser Rock Music Fan, a couple of things stood out:

Roger Daltrey's voice still sounds raw and a little unpolished.  He doesn't have the high gloss that he'll have later in the Who's career.  I don't mean to suggest that his singing isn't great; it is!  It's just not as polished as it will become.  For this record, that's exactly the right sound.

This band is extremely tight.  They've obviously been playing and rehearsing together nonstop, and there's barely a note or a drum hit out of place.  At the same time, there's a wildness and an intensity to it, like it doesn't sound OVERrehearsed, and there's obviously a lot of freedom for Pete Townsend, and especially Keith Moon, to roam around.  It's that universal music paradox where the more you practice, the more free you are to improvise.

And speaking of Keith Moon, holy shit.  If you ever wonder why he's considered one of the greatest drummers in music history, just listen to this album.  He absolutely goes apeshit, but never, ever, loses his place or gets behind or off the beat.  I can't figure out how he does half of what he does on this album.  Just amazing.

It's hard to just pick a couple of songs as highlights, but I can't get the "Substitute" on this album out of my head.  I'll tell you how good this album is - "My Generation" leads into a lengthy jam and I even liked that.  Go on.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? It should be higher.

Comments

  1. It is objectively great, and that is from a non-Who-fan. I feel weird about "best live album ever," though, since my second favorite record is a different live record - Live Rust - and Live at Leeds isn't my favorite record. YOU CAN SEE THE LOGIC PROBLEM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [Always Sunny conspiracy wall JPG here]

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"