345. Bruce Springsteen, "The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle"

 


In my mind I keep two different "Best of" lists: the objective list and the subjective list.  In other words, there are the songs that I think are maybe the Greatest Songs in Rock, and then there are My Favorite Songs, and those are two very different lists.  Same with albums, I guess.  I think Sgt Pepper is one of the best and most important albums in rock history, but it's not in my personal top 20.

This album is a dead lock for Top 500 because of one song and that song is "Rosalita," objectively one of the best songs in the history of rock music.  I was borderline obsessed with "Rosalita" when I was aboooouuuuut 13 or 14 years old maybe, and while I still love it, our ardor has cooled.  It is no longer one of my favorite songs, but I still firmly believe it is one of the best songs.  


(This is a live version, but it's similar to the version on this record and it's probably even better of a song live.)  So for "Rosalita" alone, this album is a gift.

What about the rest of the album?  It's almost a concept album about the characters that used to inhabit blue collar New Jersey and New York.  For example, "Incident on 57th Street" is about a would-be male hustler and the girl he falls for:

Well, like a cool Romeo he made his moves, oh, she looked so fine
Like a late Juliet, she knew she'd never be true but then, she really didn't mind
Upstairs a band was playin' and the singer was singin' something about going home
She whispered, Spanish Johnny, you can leave me tonight, but just don't leave me alone

Like so many Springsteen compositions, it's operatic in scope and delivery, with multiple movements and tempos and musical ideas.  In a lot of ways, this album - Springsteen's second - is where you hear him stretching his wings as a songwriter and composer.  There are going to be much more famous albums in his future, but this one is foundational.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? Yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"