346. Arctic Monkeys, "AM"

 


You know what, I kind of admire the Arctic Monkeys for this.  They could have stuck with their rock revival sound (you might remember the great rock revival of the early aughts, what with your Strokes and Kings of Leon and Libertines and ugh yes your The Darkness too I guess) that sold them eleven trillion records but instead they moved to LA and got, well, LA about it.  Where their first album, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, is a bottle-throwing, pogo dancing party, this is the grown-up aftermath.  It sounds like 3 am in LA, brooding and introspective and, well, rich.

This is a good album!  There are a lot of good ideas and a couple of great songs (my personal favorite is "No.1 Party Anthem," which is decidedly not a party anthem, get it?, but ymmv) but honestly this is one of the few albums that I don't understand why it's here.  I mean, Whatever I could see, it's a fantastic record and a fully developed sound for a first album which is crazy, but let's be real here: this is not a Top 500 album.  Although I do like rhyming "shite" with "tonight," not gonna lie.

Here, you can buy it at Urban Outfitters for $22.98. Listen to it or display it to show everyone how with it you are.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? I already answered this question!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"