362. Luther Vandross, "Never Too Much"

 


Sometimes with these albums I feel like I'm really just not getting it, you know?  I mean, people who sound like they know what they're talking about said this album was "a watershed moment for the modern R&B genre," and I'm sure that's true!  But it just did nothing for me.  Vandross certainly has a great voice, and the production is super-slick (if very, very dated) and everything's all right there but it just never clicked for me.

I didn't love this album, or even really like it, but there were a few elements I admired: the bass playing throughout is punchy and propulsive; I like the staccato rhythm guitar on "Sugar and Spice;" and the title track has a nice groove.  Part of my problem, think, (as I alluded to) is that this album sounds incredibly dated now.  The production is very 80's, with the 80's elements you expect, and it's disco-adjacent, which is not my fave.  I don't know, maybe if I was more into R&B I'd like this more.  And I feel kinda bad.  The album is likeable and wants you to like it so bad!  I'm sorry, Never Too Much.  We just aren't a match.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? Sadly, no, not really.  I'm not even sure somebody who likes it would say it belongs in the Top 500.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"