352. Eminem, "The Slim Shady LP"

 


When I was a kid - ok, maybe older than "kid," maybe "adolescent," like I'm thinking 12 or 13? - I used to draw these little comics for other kids at school.  I was kind of an awkward kid and wasn't really into playing sports or stuff like that but these comics were a big hit and my first taste of media fame.  I wish I could say they were intelligent or thought-provoking but they were really just gross-out shit.  Like I would come up with the grossest stuff a 12-year-old boy could think of and draw it up and make a story out of it, and it would be like 5 or 6 pages and man, my target demo - other 12 or 13-year-old boys - really liked it.  Stuff like arms getting chopped off and force-fed to their former owners and animals ripping people apart and I don't know, it was just me trying to gross out the other kids, which they fucking loved.  If my school had a Billboard, my Gross Comics would have gone diamond.  They were passed around and I was doing like commissions by the end, where a kid would describe the disgusting scenario he wanted and I would do it up.  In the end, I think the school found out about it and suggested to my parents that my talents would be better directed elsewhere.

This album is Eminem's version of that.  Shot through with the most juvenile, disgusting, repulsive lyrics imaginable, it's clearly designed as a big fuck you to polite society, with Beats by Dre, literally. Want some underage date rape?  He's got you (from "Guilty Conscience"):

Now listen to me, while you're kissin her cheek
And smearin her lipstick, I slipped this in her drink
Now all you gotta do is nibble on this little bitch's earlobe...
(Yo! This girl's only fifteen years old
You shouldn't take advantage of her, that's not fair)
Yo, look at her bush... does it got hair? (Uh huh!)
Fuck this bitch right here on the spot bare
Til she passes out and she forgot how she got there

Or how about a father cooing in baby talk to his child about killing the child's mother?  ON IT (from "'97 Bonnie and Clyde"):

And mama said she wants to show how far she can float
And don't worry about that little boo-boo on her throat
It's just a little scratch - it don't hurt, her was eatin
Dinner while you were sweepin and spilled ketchup on her shirt
Mama's messy isn't she? We'll let her wash off in the water
And me and you can pway by ourselves, can't we?

Ugh, whatever.  It might be disturbing if it weren't so juvenile.  Anyway, Eminem is unquestionably a talented rapper, and luckily his albums got better, and I'm hoping one of the better albums is on this list, because I don't love this one.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? Gotta say no on this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"