444. Fiona Apple, "Extraordinary Machine"

 


There are so few artists with a truly unique voice.  The kind of artist where, when you hear them, you know it can only be one person.  And I don't necessarily mean "singing voice," although that's sometimes the case (see Cocker, Joe, or Waits, Tom).  I mean an entire style of music, a sound, the whole thing.  Fiona Apple is one of those artists and God bless her for it.  I'll give you an example.  A while back, my wife and I started watching "The Affair" on Showtime (not a terrible show in the first couple of seasons, before it devolved into crazier and crazier shit as finally went madly off the rails) and the show has an arresting and immediately memorable theme song.  I knew the instant I heard it that it was Fiona Apple but had to check anyway because I always doubt myself and of course it was.

I really liked this album, from which I had never heard a single track, quite a bit.  It starts off with the title song, which is like the opening song in a musical that I would definitely like to see.  I loved "O'Sailor," with its rolling piano and langorous and regretful vocal and super catchy chorus.  There are just so many musical ideas on this album it's dizzying.  I used to write songs and I can tell you how hard it is to come up with even one good idea and they just seem to come pouring out of Fiona Apple.  

My read on the lyrics - and this is not a revolutionary or particularly insightful take - is that I hope I never break up with Fiona Apple because you do not want to be on the wrong end of a Fiona Apple breakup album.

Reading up on this album, I became apparently the last music fan in America to find out that she originally recorded the whole album with famed indie producer/songwriter Jon Brion, then had to scrap that whole thing and re-record it with new producers because the record company didn't like it and then the Jon Brion version leaked online and now, predictably enough, everyone likes the Jon Brion version better.  I deliberately didn't listen to any of the Brion version to, you know, keep the project pure but now I guess I should check it out to see if it's like a metal version with distorted guitars and booming drums or more of a thing like "the piano is higher in the mix."

Anyway, great album, I'm glad I found it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"