431. Los Lobos, "How Will the Wolf Survive?"

 


I think I owned this album on vinyl at one point?  I was at least vaguely familiar with most of the songs and the cover looks familiar so I think I might have.  Right now I'm imagining the trail of vinyl albums stretched out behind me from town to town.  I guess they're all in a landfill somewhere now.

Cool album!  There is some straight-ahead rockabilly kind of stuff ("Don't Worry Baby") and some songs obviously strongly influenced by Latin music ("Corrido #1," which is sung in English, interestingly).  "Our Last Night" has a melody that could have been sung by Hank Williams.  It's that kind of blend.

"How Will the Wolf Survive," the closer on the album, is the song you probably will have heard.  I clearly remember hearing it on the radio in the mid-80's.  Maybe you did too.

As far as I can tell, Los Lobos is still around.  In 2009, they released an album of Disney covers called "Los Lobos Goes Disney," which kind of rocks.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"