My Personal Top 100: 80-21


Just another short break before we get to the top spot, which I have been listening to/digesting/trying to think about.  My own Top 20 will follow the number 1.  Thanks for sticking with me through this over the last 2+ years.

80. Husker Du, New Day Rising

79. Belle & Sebastian, If You’re Feeling Sinister

78. Sex Pistols, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols

77. Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus

76. TV on the Radio, Dear Science

75. Smiths, Meat Is Murder

74. Todd Snider, East Nashville Skyline

73. Wings, Wings Over America

72. Johnny Cash, At Folsom Prison

71. De La Soul, Three Feet High and Rising

 

70. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver

69. Weakerthans, Reunion Tour

68. Pearl Jam, Ten

67. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here

66. Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home

65. Pogues, Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash

64. Rolling Stones, Tattoo You

The last really great album the Stones ever made, despite "Start Me Up."  "Hang Fire," "Little T&A," "Waiting on a Friend," all great songs with a classic Stones vibe.

63. Fountains of Wayne, Welcome Interstate Managers

62. Game Theory, Two Steps From the Middle Ages

61. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black

60. Hank Williams, 40 Greatest Hits

I know I expressed doubts about having comps & greatest hits on a Top Whatever list but it's my list so I can do whatever I want.

59. Vampire Weekend, Vampire Weekend

58. Neil Young, Harvest

57. Grateful Dead, American Beauty

56. Pavement, Brighten the Corners

55. A Tribe Called Quest, Low End Theory

54. Elvis Costello, Imperial Bedroom

Several artists have three albums on here, despite my earlier statement that you should only have two from any one artist.  

53. Oasis, What’s the Story Morning Glory

52. Pixies, Doolittle

51. Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited

 

50. The Jam, Sound Affects

Incredibly, the Jam were left off the Rolling Stone Top 500, an inexcusable oversight.  

49. Sugar, Copper Blue

48. Blur, Parklife

47. Grateful Dead, Workingmans Dead

46. Weakerthans, Left and Leaving

45. Elvis Costello, Armed Forces

44. Counting Crows, August and Everything After

Before you snicker, please read Steven Hyden's piece on this album, which says it better than I ever could.  

43. Uncle Tupelo, Anodyne

42. Kanye West, Yeezy

41. Velvet Underground, VU

 


40. Ryan Adams, Heartbreaker

Ryan Adams apparently did some really shitty stuff, and I've talked ad nauseam on this blog about separating the art from the artist, and, well, this album is still incredible.

39. Game Theory, Real Nighttime

38. Snoop Dogg, Doggystyle

37. Death Cab for Cutie, Transatlanticism

36. Neil Young, Rust Never Sleeps

35. Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Speaking of having to separate the art from the artist.

34. Beatles, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

33. Guided by Voices, Bee Thousand

32. Velvet Underground, Velvet Underground and Nico

31. Liz Phair, Exile in Guyville

 

30. Nirvana, Nevermind

29. Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Crosby, Stills, and Nash

28. Guided by Voices, Alien Lanes

27. The Libertines, The Libertines

I flew to England once to see the Libertines, since Pete Doherty can't get into the US, that's how much I like this shambolic, drunken mess of a band.

26. Radiohead, The Bends

25. R.E.M., Document

24. The Jam, The Gift

23. George Jones, 16 Biggest Hits

22. Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed

21. Replacements, Let It Be

I swear, I didn't notice the "Let It/Let It" thing until after I'd made the list.

OK, number 1 tomorrow.


Comments

  1. I love that Counting Crows album too. I always hold it up as counter-evidence when anyone accuses me of being a music snob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I think Hyden really captured it in that article.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"