87. Miles Davis, "Bitches Brew"

 


Let me be very upfront about this: I am not a Jazz Guy, have never been a Jazz Guy, have never willingly attended a jazz performance, and have only owned one jazz album, this one, for reasons I'm still not clear on, because I think I put it on once at a dinner party.  [Edit: it was actually Kind of Blue, a different Miles Davis album, I now recall I had, and I liked it quite a bit more than this one.]  That being said, what happened when I listened to this album?  Nothing.  I disliked it intensely.

Maybe, as Rolling Stone wrote when this album was released, "[t]his music is so rich in its form and substance that it permits and even encourages soaring flights of imagination by anyone who listens."  I did not get any soaring flights of imagination, but I'm on an SSRI so maybe that's why.  I would say my predominant emotion listening to this album was boredom, followed by slight annoyance and exasperation that it wasn't over.

People like all kinds of weird shit.  Some people love Jim Carrey movies and some people like kale.  Some people, I am led to believe, like this music.  It's a wild world, go like whatever you want.  But this is most definitely not my shit.  Call me a imbecile or an uncultured vulgarian but this to me sounds like a bunch of msucians just jacking off with no point and recoirding it.  Nothing much happens, they just dick around some more.

Also, god it is fucking long.  Seven songs, one hour and 45 minutes.  I'm gonna be straight with you, I did not finish it.  Let's move on.  Better days.

Is this album in my personal Top 500? You have got to be fucking kidding.  I would listen to one hour and 45 minutes of 100 Polka Classics - The Greatest Accordion Collection On Earth before I listened to this again.

Comments

  1. I feel the same way about jazz. One of my favorite Kids in the Hall monologues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_R5NBQqi3g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment below it: "Jazz is unanimously hated by those lacking the intelligence to handle music that's more complex than justin beiber. LOL" oh fuck off, that's why people hate people who like jazz

      Delete
  2. I like jazz. Kind of Blue is fantastic. This is jazz fusion (aka jazz-rock fusion). It is not fantastic. It is cocaine-fueled self-absorption.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"