147. Jeff Buckley, "Grace"

 


Like the vast majority of other people, the only Jeff Buckley song I had ever heard was his gorgeous and aching cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," a cover so ubiquitous that I was in my 40s before I learned Buckley's wasn't the original version.  I had heard of this album, of course, but never heard it, and I guess I was expecting more broody, guitar-based singer-songwriter stuff.

Boy was I wrong.  This album is WILD.  I'm not even sure WHAT it is.  It's kind of bombastic orchestral rock like Muse or Queen but somehow weirder?  Take the title song, track two.  It starts out deceptively simple, but quickly veers off with Buckley showing off his truly amazing vocal range (supposedly four octaves, which is a lot).  The melody dodges and weaves in unexpected ways, nodding at jazz one minute and maybe Andrew Lloyd Webber the next?  "Last Goodbye," the second single released after the title track, shows off more of Buckley's voice and the driving, rythmic guitar that underlies a lot of this album.

"Eternal Life" is almost grunge, with Buckley adopting a kind of Anthony Kiedis sneer.  And then there's "Dream Brother," a trippy, Eastern-flavored song that also draws on prog, moody and dreamy as the title.  Like a lot of the songs, there's a lot of imagery that could be read as alluding to death.  This is all more than a little creepy considering that Buckley famously drowned in the Mississippi River when he was just 30 years old.  From "Dream Brother":

Ah do you meet the one I love
and smell the one who loves you
Dream brother, dream brother, dream, dream
dream asleep in the sand with the ocean washing over

From "Last Goodbye":

Kiss me, please kiss me
But kiss me out of desire, babe, and not consolation
You know it makes me so angry 'cause i know that in time
I'll only make you cry, this is our last goodbye

From "Grace":

There's the moon asking to stay
Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
Oh, it's my time coming,
I'm not afraid
Afraid to die

Creepy, huh?  Buckley mostly flew under the radar while he was alive, but this album was discovered and praised by everyone from David Bowie to Lana Del Rey.  He must have made a huge impact on other musicians, especially, because I have never heard of anyone having this many tribute songs written about them.

So did I like this album?  No I did not.  Would it be at number 147 if Buckley hadn't suffered a tragic and early death?  I doubt it.  Maybe it's one of those things that requires repreated listens to finally sink in and then I'd love it but I have 146 more albums, so, sorry Jeff.  RIP.

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? Do I want to argue with David Bowie?  If he says it is, then it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"