153. PJ Harvey, "Rid of Me"

 


Oh dear, I'm afraid we have another Sonic Youth situation on our hands by which I mean I'm absolutely sure this is a great album but I just do not like it that much.  I have been trying to like both sushi and PJ Harvey since the 90s and have finally just resigned myself to the fact that it's never going to happen for either one.

Believe it or not, this is the second record we've had that was produced by Steve Albini at Pachyderm Studios in Cannon Falls, Minnesota (the other one being In Utero).  Albini was, and is, famous for a few things, one of them being wide shifts in sound dynamics - or, if I wasn't a pretentious twat, going quiet LOUD quiet - and his resolute opposition to compressing records to sound louder, both of which are on display here.  The album starts with a quiet strumming, and then you can kind of tell there's a song building, and then there's some very quiet vocals, and then around 2:10 it comes BLASTING at you and then gets quiet again.  It's a big surprise if you're wearing earbuds, let me tell you!

That song, "Rid of Me," nicely sets the tone for the album.  The music is aggressive, angry, uncompromising, and the lyrics seem somehow sexual and disturbing and maybe uncomfortably frank.  From "Rub 'Til It Bleeds":

Speak, I'm listening
Baby, I'm your sweet thing
Believe what I'm saying
God's truth, I'm not lying
I lie steady
Rest your head on me
I'll smooth it nicely
Rub it better 'till it bleeds

Another song, "Missed," is popularly believed to be about Mary, Queen of Scots:

Mary lost her head
And let it bleed
Came crying back to me
"My son where's he hid?
Don't deny it
And don't you hide him"
No I've missed him

So here's the thing.  I appreciate what went into these songs and their power and energy, but, on the whole, I just don't particularly enjoy listening to them.  Two exceptions: "50ft Queenie" and "Yuri-G," back to back tracks mid-album and, not surprisingly, two of the more "conventionally" structured songs.  "Queenie" is a blast of post-punk energy, and "Yuri-G" is a straight-up rocker.  See?  I'm not a total philistine.

One thing I really noticed this time through was how big an influence this obviously was on Sleater-Kinney.  Was this really obvious all along?  

Does this album deserve to be in the Top 500? I'm sure it does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

103. De La Soul, "Three Feet High And Rising"

3. Joni Mitchell, "Blue"

1. Marvin Gaye, "What’s Going On"